Sunday, August 21, 2011

Homemade Salt & Vinegar Chips

There pretty much isn't anything I love more than a good bag of Salt and Vinegar Chips. I can polish off a huge bag of Miss Vickies single handedly in a sitting, no problem! Except it gets to be a major problem when I do it all the time (which I don't, but there was a time!) So the only remedy that works is to just not have them in the house. James will buy them and then eat 5 and put them away....but I know they're there. I can hear them calling... even in the middle of the night, haha. I just can not resist!!

 So I just try not to have them because if I have one, I have the bag. Sad but true. So yesterday was a particularly AWESOME day when I discovered Martha Stewart's home made BAKED Salt and Vinegar chips. I have tried to make some before without a recipe, but they just never got vinegar-y enough. These ones....A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! I was serious giddy about them!
They are simmered in vinegar first so they are saturated with S and V flavored goodness. MMM!



sliced and boiling in the vingar
 
Ingredients
  • 1 pound potatoes (I used red ones) into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  • 2 cups white vinegar (I used pickling vinegar to get it even more sour! so good)
  • 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for sprinkling
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Directions

  1. Bring potatoes and vinegar to a boil in a medium saucepan (vinegar should cover potatoes). Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer potatoes until just fork tender, about 5 minutes. Let potatoes cool in vinegar for 30 minutes. Drain well, and gently toss with oil, salt, and pepper.
  2. So here you have 2 options, you can bake them OR you can grill them a la martha stewart.
Oven: Bake at 425 degrees for 35 mins, then flip and bake for another 10-15. Be sure to watch them.    

Grill : Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill potatoes in a single layer until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Sprinkle with salt before serving

Words can not describe my joy.

 YUM!!!!

They were amazing and a VERY satisfying alternative to Miss Vickies. I tried to save some for James.. I really did...but by the time he got home there were none left. He was gone way too long. See? even these I can't resist! But atleast they are heathy!

Give them a try! Your tummy will be satisfied and your house will smell like the inside of a S&V chip bag! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment